Wednesday, November 25, 2009

"Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content"...Say What?

Recently I've been praying about moving out of my house.  Two months ago I would have told you that I live in a hostile environment that I wouldn't wish on anyone.  These days I would say that I'm learning to be content in my living situation although it's not ideal.

As many of you know, I go to church in Long Beach and I love it.  Honestly, I'd love to live in Long Beach, but I am seeing that my eyes need to be opened to God's kingdom here on earth.  A few weeks ago, my church held a leadership dinner with 30 leaders of our church.  Our lead pastor talked about the necessity that we each be disciples to people in our lives.  Last week, the store manager of my Starbucks was fired, which brought much delight to every employee of the store.  During our time without a manager, I felt not only like a team member, but a vital member of a family.  On Monday I had a conversation with one girl about relationships and with a guy about seeing My Sister's Keeper.  I am excited about the relationships that are developing with my coworkers at Starbucks.

In Philippians 4:11, Paul says that he is not speaking of being in need.  He gave up all the riches and honor that he knew as a Pharisee in exchange for the riches of Christ.  A few weeks ago, a wise friend of mine at the ripe old age of 23 proposed that God may be asking me to live on less.  Hmm...This is a tough one because it requires not that I gain more, but that I cut back.  So, I am praying about ways that I can do that.  Working at Starbucks 25 hours a week, I bring in about $1000 a month after taxes and insurance.  That is hard for anyone to live on, especially one who was accustomed to three times that.  One of the biggest areas I am praying about is rent.  Currenlty I pay $600 a month including utilities but am looking for rent of $400.  That is hard to find in Southern California and requires sharing a room. 

Last week I had a phone interview with a company that I would love to work with.  I think I will have another phone interview soon, but in the meantime I wait.  I continue to ask the Lord what He requires of me and ask Him to provide all my needs for life and godliness. 

No comments: