Friday, October 23, 2009

To read or not to read. Is there a question?

Recently I've become addicted to reading. I wish I was addicted to Theology books or even engineering books, but unfortunately I am addicted to reading fiction. When I moved to Huntington Beach, I discovered the Friends of the Library at the local library. Books are dirt cheap and arranged by genre. It is a thrift store lover's dream. On my first visit, I picked up four books for $2.25. The Princess Bride (Yes the movie we all fell in love with in the 90s, "Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die"), The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, The Devil Wears Prada, Jane Eyre, and The Canterbury Tales.

Consequently, I've read a lot of books lately. Of course, The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants was a little juvenile, but was still fun to read. I was surprised by how different The Devil Wears Prada is from the movie. I forgot to read the synopsis before starting Jane Eyre and boy was I in for a loop. At times I wanted to throw the book against the wall because I was so frustrated with the twists and turns in the plot. I completely forgot about the lunatic wife upstairs and was amazed by the many coincidences.

I bought My Sister's Keeper a while back to resale and ended up loving it. I usually don't like deeply emotional books, but I was instantly captivated by the writing. Each chapter is from the perspective of a differenct character and each character has their own font type. I could sympathise with Anna's independent nature, but I wondered if she'd be complete without her sister. I was surprised by the romance in the book. There's the mom and dad (Sara and Brian), the lawyer and guardian (Campbell and Julia), plus Anna and Kate discovering boys. I literally
could not put it down and read half of the book in one day. I just sold the book on half.com today, so I'm excited to share it with someone else.

1 comment:

AbReformed said...

Good stuff! You'd better keep me on your blog list!

"No more rhymes now, I mean it!" ... "Anybody want a peanut?" ... "GAH!!!"